Facebook is planning to start selling video ads through an extension of its Audience Network, which until now has been primarily mobile. These ads will now be extended to desktops and will appear on any sites of those publishers who are signed up to use Audience Network. Facebook seems to have designed this to directly compete against Google, which dominates digital advertising.
Facebook Audience Network (FAN) allows brands to use the same targeting data, based on user demographics and interest off Facebook as they do on it. This also allows tracking people across devices using their Facebook login details. Google has much higher rank when it comes to online advertising, but Facebook knows more information about its users enabling them to offer superior targeting options. Which will allow advertisers to target their audience with a more personalized experience. This is believed to be what will give Facebook not only a fighting chance at being competition for Google but actually put them at an advantage. Here are five reasons why we feel Facebook is direct competition for Google.
- Custom Audience: A custom audience is created based on your existing customers.
- Lookalike Audience: Lookalike audience allows you to target people who are likely to be interested in your business because they’re similar to customers you already have.
- Doesn’t Overload Facebook & Instagram with Ads: By running ads through FAN they’ll be seen on other platforms so neither Facebook nor Instagram will be bombarded with ads.
- Expands Reach to non-Facebook Users: Through advanced targeting options your ads can now be seen beyond the Facebook users. Allowing you to reach across platforms and beyond your existing audience.
- Improves ROI: With more places to deliver content it maximizes value for the advertisers who want to more brand exposure through video.